Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sinusitis: Yellow Dust Season



For the past two months I've been battling a terrible cold, that seems to be getting worse as time goes by. I went to my usual doctor with my co-teacher, and he usually takes about a minute to look at me, mumbles something in Korean and sends me to the pharmacy. So, after seeing him for the 3rd visit, I thought it was a useless waste of time and decided to let the cold run it's course. What a course it's running! I don't EVER remember being sick this long and believe me it is no fun. For about a week or two I thought I was getting over it until this week when I felt like absolute death. I went to a new doctor and finally figured out what the heck is wrong with me; sinusitis. Basically, I have a bad sinus infection which is the cause of my constant coughing. Although I'm relieved to know what's finally wrong with me, I am so anxious to have this cold disappear. The weather is finally awesome, not too cold, not too hot, just the was spring should be.




May was quite eventful and filled with holidays; Children's Day and Buddha's Birthday (similar to Christmas). I tried to get out and see things despite my sickness, but now that I look back that is probably the reason why I'm still sick now. Nevertheless, I know it was all worth it. I only have less than three months left in Korea, and even though I was sick I knew it would be awhile before I was back for Buddha's Birthday. I'm enjoying my last months as much as I can, but a big part of me is anxious for August to come around. I signed my contract stating I won't be renewing, and I even bought my plane ticket home! I went back and read the blogs I posted during my first few months in Korea, and it was interesting to see how much I've grown in this year. When I came here I was a mess, literally. I was homesick, depressed, and scared to be independent. For almost all my life, I had someone there to pick me up when I falling, to finish something I couldn't, to comfort me when I was at my loneliest. In Korea I was on my own for the first time. Sure I had Dawn and many other amazing friends to turn to, but I knew that I had to deal with my issues on my own. At the end of the day, when I turn off all the lights it was just me, and I had to learn how to be okay with that. I don't know why being alone scared me the most, maybe because I never let myself be myself. This roller-coaster journey in Korea has taught me that. I learned how to survive and thrive without leaning on the people closest to me. I learned to be satisfied staying in on weekends, and I learned that I don't need anything as long as I believe in myself and have faith in God, everything will work itself out.

2 comments:

  1. LET THE CHURCH SAY A-MON! lol like i said before, ur growth is exponiential, and it keeps getting better with time. This sinus this is just another bump in the road that ur gettin over all wrapped up in this crazy korean experience. 2 more months are ur home free. Love u babe. keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! Everytime I see this comment I crack up and smile. I love you too and thanks for sticking with me.

    ReplyDelete