Friday, September 18, 2009

It's the Eyeballs!!!



Most people think the fear of public speaking comes from the amount of people in the room, or who's in the room, but really it's the eyeballs that freaks people out. During my EPIK training one of the lecturers pointed this out to us, and I thought it over and she was completely right. I've taught 3rd, 5th and 6th grade, and even Korean teachers; it is the same no matter which group is in the room. Everytime I'm about to present I get that queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, and my mouth gets real dry and starts to feel like cotton. I have that mental conversation with myself, "c'mon don't freak out" and I feel the calm before the storm until I make that first initial eyeball to eyeball contact. Now, that first eye contact can be crucial, especially if you fear public speaking as much as I do. The eyes can meet and you can have that friendly look like, "ya you're doing great, I totally agree" or you can have the eyeballs that give you that smirk like, "what the hell are you saying up there. "If you feed into it too much it can bring you down real fast, and before you know you're stumbling on all your words, constantly saying "yeah and um, and like, and you know..."and worst case scenario you totally blank out. However, the friendly eyeballs can give you that boost you need and you can totally breeze through the rest of the presentation. Whatever, the case I've learned you have to be ready for whatever eyeballs come your way. Man did I have some set of eyeballs stare me down today. Today was nerve racking because it was a Friday, and so naturally I'm like "TGIF" I have no classes and I can just sit at my desk and work at my own pace. However, today was different because it was the first introduction/lesson for my English Club with the Korean teachers at my school. I felt as though I truly did my best to present the material in a way they could understand without being condescending. But I had a mix of eyeballs; many people nodded there heads in agreement, others had interesting looks on their face. Mainly, I was worried about everyone understanding me and if anyone would come back next week. But, after my presentaton my co-teacher Bo-mi told me that I did a very good job and that she thinks they understood for the most part, what I was saying. She said I just need to slow down. Nevertheless, this is going to be a very interesting "conversational" class; there was not much conversation going on during this first class. I will give them a chance to warm up and plus I have to remember that Koreans are EXTREMELY shy. These people did not even want to introduce themselves, I thought that maybe there English was just terrible, but after they made there introductions I was pleasantly surprised to find that everyone's English was fairly good. Aside, from the awkward tension at the end and in between me talking I was pleased I made it out alive! I guess I'll just have to wait and see who comes back after today, hopefully it's not just Bo-mi and I! Anyways, to wrap things up, my week was exhausting but rewarding. I'm starting to feel more and more like a teacher; every week I get more comfortable speaking and interacting with everyone at my school. There is hope for a public speaking phobic, stick it out, don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself, because it will happen; especially if you're an American in Korea. I'm taking life lightly, laughing at my bloopers and living in the moment. The second picture in this post is Expo Bridge, a very famous and beautiful bridge in Daejeon, next to the Science Expo Museum. Daejeon is famous for science and technology. Also, friends and family please continue to leave me comments even if it's short and sweet, they really are pick-me-ups when I've had a bad day or am feeling homesick. I really appreciate them, thanks!

7 comments:

  1. You've come a long way...Im proud of you VZanders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is the eyes and what I think those might say to me that make me have pause about speaking publicly. Whenever I speak before a group, I take a deep breath and give the room a quick scan for encouraging faces. I just believe they are out there. In believing so I find the confidence to share. Most of the time it works out successfully. I also find when I show humility when speaking to a group, people are warm and welcoming.

    That's a neat photo of the Expo Bridge in Daejeon.

    It seems you are adjusting and finding your way in Korea. I love how brave and adventurous you are and yet very open and considerate of a different culture. Immersing yourself into another culture can only expand you -- giving you a broad perspective. You are an ambassador.

    Wise beyound your years; you make me smile. And yes, laughter is so wonderful! It keeps your heart light.

    What can I say Vannessa, you are just totally cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, speaking in front of a group of people is something I've always got nervous about. I always think that if I want to be remarkable during this lifetime, I've got to eventually speak in front of large groups on a weekly basis. Therefore, I'm so proud of you! Learning these techniques and experiences will last with you forever, remember to teach me a few things when you get back :) Keep up the good work Ness, you are doing an amazing thing for these students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I'm hoping I am not looking too crazy up there and that they are retaining some of the what I've been teaching. I will continue you to update everyone on my progress! Pray for me this Monday was kind of rough, but I guess most Mondays are. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey vanness,
    yeah i have a presentation 2moro, and after reading how you literally in front of a group kids and strangers everyday, ,I can make a quick 5-7 min speech to so students my age. This is great motivation babe!!! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...Ness! I was nervous for you while reading this. lol. But it's funny how the Lord always gets you what you need. I have to speak at the state capitol next month and I needed this inspiration. If you can stand in front of a room full of people who might or might not understand what you're saying, HOPEFULLY I can stand do the same with people who speak the same language. Thanks for the inspiration my Spelman Sister and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I could help Tiwanna! I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete