Wednesday, September 2, 2009

So today was my first day as song-sang neem or teacher at my school Sin-gye Elementary. It was not too bad, for this first week I am only doing introductions. So I made a power point about me, my family, and friends, and ofcourse random facts about Marley. I think it went well. For one of the slides I have a picture of different flags and students have to guess where I am from. Many students guessed Canada and England, and I got a couple of Africas and one Jamaica lol. But for the most part everyone figuered I was from the US. It was so funny to see how excited students were to see a foreign teacher. Also, just the way teachers are treated out here in general is really refreshing. Students bow and are so polite and respectful, I don't think we will ever see that in the US. Plus, some students are at school literally from sun up to sundown, after school lets out at 3pm some students go to an academy or what they call private school to study more English and are usually there until 10pm at night! But for the most part I felt good about my first day, there were some awkward moments; like at lunch. At orientation we were told that a lot of Koreans don't like to talk during meals because they are in a hurry and are trying to just hurry up and shovel their food down. One of the previous EPIK teachers told us that lunch one day his co-teacher had to tell him that he talked too much during lunch! lol. So needless to say, I wasn't trying to strike up any conversations so the silence was a little awkward. But my co-teacher, Bo-mi is always really sweet and made some small talk with me. That's all for 1st day news can't wait to meet all my classes next week!

3 comments:

  1. These are very nice pictures, the school looks very big. It is refreshing to see kids eager to learn.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome experience, big school & respectful kids american kids should take notes from our korean bro & sis we love you keep up the good work mom& marley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update, keep the updates coming! Glad you had a cool first day!

    ReplyDelete