Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Week Was Hell, So Heaven Sent Seoul





This week was hands down one of the worst weeks in my life. Dawn and I were both robbed; she was robbed on Sunday and I was robbed on Wednesday. It was so obvious that the bastard singled us out because we were foreign, knew our schedule, and has been watching us for quite some time. The whole week I went from depressed, to scared, to pissed. A million thoughts were racing through my head a mile a minute. SHould I go home? Should I quit my job or offer them some ultimatum? I felt helpless; here I am a 22 year old adult, and I cannot even call the police because of the language barrier. Inadequate and vulnerable I sobbed for many days and went through the motions at work waiting for the weekend to come around. I have never felt so lonely and lost in my life. I asked God "when am I going t catch a break?"






Sure enough as He always does God came through and showed me one of the best weekends I've ever had since I came to Korea. On Saturday we went to Seoul, which is the NYC of Korea. Talk about reverse culture shock, I could not believe how many black people I saw. I felt like I was back in Atlanta. In Seoul, there are several military bases and because of this it is a melting pot of foreigners from around the world. As one could imagine I felt right at home, enjoying my Western meal and meeting so many people. Thanks to some awesome friends (Keethia and company) we did so much in one night: Icebar, S Club, Sensations, street gyros, and hookah. We went into one club and it was like all black people, I thought wow this is possible...in Korea. WHo would have thought? Plus, a friend of mine went to a salon ran by Koreans of course that specializes in black hair; dreads, braids, weaves, perms, you name it! Seoul was literally exactly what my soul needed to get me back on track.



Also, my school has had the locks changed on our doors and had management put up cameras in the hallways. They are also working on getting us moved to another safer building. Positive thinking is going to get me through this rough patch along with awesome friends I continue to make. Thank you God for showing me light at the end of this dark tunnel.

3 comments:

  1. All is good now baabe, keep your head up, when things are bad, they can only get better. 7 more weeks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa....things may seem crazy at times but with your continued faith there is always light at the end of the tunnel. I'm glad you had the opportunity to lift your spirts and enjoy your time in Seoul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys. And thanks Auntie Sheba for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete