Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's Not Easy


When I came here I thought it would be so many things: liberating, adventurous, exciting, and unforgettable. One thing is for sure, this experience could never be forgotten. As much as I love my time in Korea and being a teacher, my heart will always be somewhere else. I remember the assumptions people made, the different versions they created to predict what my life will be like when I get back. People love to shy away from the things they fear most with negativity. People love to doubt the most important aspects of life, particularly love and success. Many believe that to have both is unattainable. And maybe I'm an optimist or maybe I'm too young for my own good, but I always believed it was possible and that I would be blessed enough to have it.

At 18 I met my soulmate and no matter how far away from each other we are, the thought of him never leaves my mind. Since the day I left, up until now, he has always given me his unwavering support, despite the fact that me leaving was the last thing he wanted me to do. He never doubts my abilities or criticizes my shortcomings, instead he loves me and all the layers I come with. Sometimes I wonder if I do the same; I wonder if I've been there for him as much as he's been there for me. It's one thing to leave someone back at home, but what about the person that's always getting left? Have I been too selfish, trying to pursue all my wants and adventures? At what point does long-distance, make things distant. And when it happens how do you deal with it, how do you make it okay? I thought I'd never regret this decision, but today is one of those days that I'd give anything to take it back.

2 comments:

  1. love this! I think you definitely made the right decision to go to Korea. I've known you for a while and I've witnessed the beautiful, intelligent, and talented woman you've grown to be. I think this was a learning experience that will stay with you forever. I'm sure you've uncovered a part of you that you never knew existed. Now you know your strength, your determination, and willpower. I, for one, am very proud of you for braving this journey. You coming out of this experience a better person can only further strengthen your relationship with DMacaroni! Added to the fact that if you guys could survive this test of your relationship, you can make it through anything! I just want my proper respects as the person who made it all possible come the wedding day! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say I freaking love you YAK! Thanks for the uplifting words, and for sure you will get the credit for bringing us together, and Shawn lol...I expect both of you guys to be there whenever that day comes. And you will definitely be a bridesmaid (possibly wearing a disgusting pastel 80s dress!) I miss you girly and I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete