Friday, March 5, 2010

Killing Me with Kindness


Tonight after work I finally got cable TV, yes cable...I feel like I'm from the 1950s or something I've never been more happy....(except for when I got internet). My co-teacher came over with her super cute 5 year old daughter to stay with me until the cable guy finished. I felt really awful because I was down to a swish of water and her daughter was thirsty. After they left, I was like, "okay clearly I need to go grocery shopping, at least for the basics." That usually entails me going to my grocery store which is just a hop and skip away from my house. However, I usually get a 6 pack of those 2 liter water bottles, which are ridiculously heavy.


As I walked in I saw the guy that my parents be-friended during their visit, and gave him a quick annyonghaseyo, (I wasn't sure if he remembered me, even though I am pretty unforgettable) and headed straight for the water section. I grabbed a few other things and headed to the register. He popped up there and said, "that's too heavy, I think I better deliver these to your house." In Korean culture I think=this is what is going to happen. I semi-rejected and semi-accepted because it was raining and they were heavy. The car ride was about 10 seconds, and once we got to my door I felt inclined to introduce myself and ask his name. I thanked him several times in between then, and made sure to right down his name exactly as it's pronounced so I could say hi and his name next time I see him. It might of been nothing to him but to me it was the kindest gesture.

You never really know the impression you make on people, and one act of kindness can change someone's entire perception of their situation and their surroundings. I suppose that was the spark I needed, to shake off my grump-slump and appreciate that the most comforting thing about this strange place are the warmth and kindness of the people I encounter.

4 comments:

  1. i'm happy to see that you're back on with the blogging. i really enjoy reading your honest opinions about your experiences there. keep it up love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tirz! I appreciate the support and I'm glad someone is actually reading my gibberish! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay postive ,it's good to hear what's going on there.When it's all said and done America is not too bad....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good post, good people are still around!

    ReplyDelete