Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Mid-point

So here I am, halfway through my one-year teaching contract in Daejeon, South Korea. Sorry for the 2-3 month long hiatus I have been traveling, vacationing, and spending valuable thumb twiddling time at my desk during the school break. I have had mixed feelings about my time here, and I am constantly thinking of giving up and going home. It hasn't been easy for me and what keeps me going is the goals I've set for myself once my contract is over in August.

The hardest moment for me was when I came back to Korea after going home for two weeks. The first morning I woke-up and actually thought that I was still in my lovely home in California, but I was quickly reminded of my whereabouts when I heard a loud-beating drum and hitleresque speeches in Korean. It was the celebration of Korea's independence from Japan....could my timing be anymore impeccable? I think I spent the whole day being mad at myself and going crazy inside my little shoebox apartment. I talked to my boyfriend for 8 hours and did a lot of self-loathing. Later on I went out to place my pizza order and saw an American guy that looked like Woody Allen, walking his two dogs with his Korean girlfriend/wife who knows. It's amazing what a little fresh air can do, sure enough it made me "shake off" my grump-slump and try to look forward to the life I have here.

This week is my first week back from spring break, and in Korea this is considered the start of the new year. It makes no sense to me but, let's not get into the ignorant American complaining about the Korean school system speech. So I have new teachers, new students, and basically a new office. At first I was annoyed and irritated that I would have to start new relationships all over again, and become personal with a whole new set of impersonal people. I was somewhat set on my cushiony semi-personal relationships I had with my co-teachers Seo-Young and Bo-mi. Furthermore, I accepted the pin-dropping silence in my office, and the awkward lunches, and me constantly being left out of every conversation. Needless to say, when I walked in Tuesday morning I wasn't thrilled to meet my new officemates. However, it's only Friday and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually genuinely like them. Besides Mr. Kim and I we have all new teachers in our office. Everyone has been very friendly, warm, and welcoming. The teachers are very curious about American culture, and love talking to me. Imagine that, I'm not the conversation starter!! It's amazing, and I'm hoping it only gets better. I can't wait to get back to teaching, coming to school is boring without the zest of my animated students.

No comments:

Post a Comment