Friday, March 19, 2010

Koreans Love Steven Seagal



I've been making a habit out of staying in on Friday nights to enjoy my new cable, and it seems as though Koreans are absolutely in love with three kinds of movies: Steven Seagal movies, shoot em' up blow em' up action movies, and a random mix of dramas such as Saving Private Ryan, Titanic (of course), and Unfaithful. Occasionally, I will see a Romantic Comedy, but never a plain old Comedy. I mean seriously, I love Steven Seagal movies more than the average person does, but there's only so many slick-back ponytails, bad acting, and classic 90s fashion faux pas (the jackets) I can take! Oh and let's not forget his classic walk, lol as if he has a huge stick up his you know what. Oh these are fond, fond memories of my childhood, and the beginning of having a deep appreciation and love for explicit language and an unnecessary amount of blood, bullets and guts.



But moreover, watching these movies reminds me of how long ago my youth was. It hit me dead in the face with the harsh reality that yes, even I, am growing up. What a painful reality to face. In the next five years of my life I'll be 27 going on 28. Right now I'm 22 and I often think back 5 years ago to when I was 17. I feel like I was a completely different person then, I wonder if I will feel the same when I hit 27. However, one thing is certain, if I died tomorrow, I can say whole-heartedly that I leaped when others lingered. I'll admit that I walk through most of my life confused, indecisive, and lost. What I want today is different from what I desire tomorrow. But as much as I am a cautious, meticulous planner, I also have this wildly spontaneous side of me slipping through every now and then. I can't imagine I'm the only person that is a walking contradiction, perhaps there's 2 different kinds of people in all of us, we just choose to suppress one. But I suppose at some point you have to acknowledge that side of you, you fear most. It was Eleanor Roosevelt that said it best:
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

This is what keeps me going during mornings like this Friday, when I tell myself I really don't want to be here. I'm tired of the snow in springtime. I'm tired of being alone, a million miles away from everyone I love. Yet, I can finish the day finding that in most cases, things aren't hardly as bad as they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment